National Honor Society cancelled due to COVID-19

Addy Wachter

NHS is responsible for volunteering at many events, such as fire prevention night

Grace Ostric, Editor in Chief

The National Honor Society (NHS) meetings are cancelled for the rest of the school year. There is no definite plan of what is going to happen next year for graduating seniors and juniors who did not finish their requirement of 15 service hours. 

Service hours for events that were scheduled but got cancelled due to the coronavirus still count, but some people do not have enough hours to meet the requirement, originally due April 17 for seniors and May 29 for juniors. 

“I know that a lot of kids procrastinated their hours and weren’t fully completed with them when it was closed, so I was curious as to what we were going to decide to do,” NHS NORA coordinator Kate Criswell said. 

Because of this, the club is going to change their policy regarding service hours for this year. 

“I want to say that we’re going to be super flexible with how they are going to give everyone the correct amount of hours for next year,”  NHS service leader Evan Yu said.

NHS is a club that focuses on four pillars; scholarchip, service, leadership and character. Led by a leadership team consisting of senior students, counselors and teachers, this club gives students with a certain GPA the ability to exercise these characteristics by volunteering in the community and planning events. Because of the coronavirus, this is no longer possible.

“I’m really going to miss that team in general, the leadership team works really well together,” Yu said. “I’m also going to miss having so many opportunities right in front of me to do stuff and meet new people.”

Despite the early meetings at 7:10 a.m., students believe there are many reasons to participate in the NHS next fall.

“If you aren’t already in it, definitely join,” Criswell said. “It’s a really good community of students who are academically focused and focused on making the community better. It’s really cool to see people working together and encouraging others to be more active in their community.”