Fresh Faces: Todd Taylor

C Kelly
New security guard Todd Taylor watches over cameras all day assuring the safety of the staff and students.

Nineteen new staff have joined us this year this including Todd Taylor the new security guard. Taylor sits in the main office watching the cameras insuring the safety of staff and student alike. As the first person you see when you enter the building checking people in and out Taylor  makes sure you feel safe and welcomed.

Favorite artist?

It’s an old one but I would have to say Rolling Stones. 

What is your average coffee intake? 

Probably a pot, you’ve got to remember I was used to working nights I would work six to six at night.

What is your pet peeve? 

When I’m with my kids and they are looking for something silly but can’t find it anywhere and then I come in and it’s right in front of their eyes the whole time.

What are your favorite and least favorite trends? 

My least favorite trend is probably the saggy pants. I don’t know if you would call this a trend but I like the 60s cars. 

What are you doing when you’re out of school?

Pretty much spending time with my family doing whatever. 

How long have you been doing security?

I started with the sheriff’s office about 22 years ago and was in corrections for 11 years so I would say 33 years.

Have you found something more difficult than you expected when transitioning to GHAPS? 

No, I like everybody. I come from a place where people yell and call you all kinds of derogatory names and make everything about your day difficult. Coming here made me very happy to see how many nice people are still out there. 

Have always wanted to work at a school? 

Yeah, especially now because of how bad things are getting. That was one of the things we brought up in the interview that I kind of wanted to get a place where we’re proactive rather than reactive and I wanted to be part of something like that. 

Have you felt accepted at GHAPS ?

Oh, yes, everybody is so nice. So far so good. 

What makes your job unique?

This is the first of its kind. What we are hoping is to spread to all the different schools so we’re kind of a prototype, we are setting up things as we go working out the kinks and stuff like that. 

If you could change anything about the school what would it be and why? 

I haven’t been here long enough. I mean there’s different things we’ve brought up about the security level. 

What does your free hour look like? 

I used to work anywhere between 12 and 16 hours a day. Working for eight and a half hours is nothing, so I usually work straight through lunch.