Team effort leads Bucs wrestlers to fend off Falcons

Senior+wrestler+Daniel+Guillen+attacks+his+opponent+from+Fruitport.+Guillen+is+a+vital+member+of+this+year%27s+team.+
Senior wrestler Daniel Guillen attacks his opponent from Fruitport. Guillen is a vital member of this year's team.

Ryan Tongue

Ryan Tongue

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

What Happened: Grand Haven took on East Kentwood in the GHHS Fieldhouse this past week and came out triumphant with a 46-22 win. A team effort was needed to beat the Falcons; it couldn’t be done by one man alone. Sophomore Riley Rhone picked up a win to continue his illustrious season, boosting his personal record to 26-5. Per usual, senior heavyweight Colin Monsma came out on top, while senior state finalist Daniel Guillen was victorious as well, bolstering his personal record to 24-3. Perhaps the greatest match of the night was from senior Chris Anderson. A second-year grappler, Anderson got a takedown and a near-fall to put Grand Haven over the edge on their way to victory.

They Said It: “Overall we had a pretty good showing last night,” head wrestling coach Vince Gervais said. “The best part [is] that our young guys are finally understanding how to compete and understand the sport of wrestling.”

What’s Next: The Buccaneers’ team districts are at Mona Shores High School next Wednesday. Grand Haven will then host the individual districts next Saturday at the GHHS Fieldhouse.

About the Writer
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.