Boys swim seniors grateful for support, time spent in sport

Sam Woiteshek, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Senior swim captains Carter Brown and Jack Timmer walked down the student-filled hallway, ready to head to states. The Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) prohibited all spectators attending, so the circumstances were already a bit different.

After they reconvened from the send-off, the hammer dropped. The state finals were canceled. 

“It seemed so surreal,” Brown said. “It couldn’t be real. After I accepted it, I was really bummed out. But I knew that it wasn’t worth getting upset and my feelings wouldn’t change anything.”

For Timmer, it marked the end of an era. The tight-knit bond the squad shared will be what he misses most.

“The camaraderie is really special and is unlike any other team I’ve been on,” Timmer said. “Not being able to see my teammates every day is challenging. They were an integral part of my life.”

However, the boys were able to get creative and managed to pull off a pseudo-state meet on the day the race would have been. Many people participated, including the girls swim team, boys swim alumni and the parents of current swimmers. 

“I swam a lifetime best and broke a 28-year-old school record,” Brown said. “It was special to be able swim despite everything going on and the energy was great. It was a super, amazing way to end a season.”

On the whole, Timmer has some advice for next year’s class of athletes.

“Treasure the time you have in the sport,” Timmer said. “Learn to be adaptable and accept change because life doesn’t always go the way you want it to.”