New graduation gowns to solidify one team mentality

Alexis VanSingel, News Editor

As the graduating class of 2016 walks across the stage to accept their diplomas and close a chapter in their life, they will be sporting newly designed graduation gowns. Previously, there were gold gowns for girls and blue gowns for guys but starting this year everyone will be wearing the same gown.

“The premise behind it all was the number of kids who were asking to pick which color they wore,” Principal Tracy Wilson said.

Over the years, there have been complaints about the gowns that were worn, mainly concerning the gold color that girls wear.

“The gowns have traditionally been two different colors for a number of years and every year we hear the girls don’t like the color,” Wilson said. “They all don’t like wearing the gold. They think it’s an ugly color.”

Many had requested one gown for everyone. So a decision was made to create a gown that incorporated both blue and gold.

“When we asked Jostens (the company that provides the graduation gowns) if there was any chance we could create a gown that has both of our school’s colors on it, they said a lot of schools do that now and have gotten away from two different colored gowns,” Wilson said.

Wilson and Jostens representative Amy Hollandsworth worked together to come up with a design for the new gowns.

“Mrs. Wilson came to me with a request to make one gown for everyone,” Hollandsworth said. “We collaborated to think of unique ways to dress the gowns up.”

The main worries among students and families are pricing and when the caps and gowns will come in. Wilson assures there is no need for concern.

“They are doing the package for the same price as they were before,” Wilson said. “We did our order at the usual time and we’re expected to have delivery at the same time.”

Although cost and shipping aren’t a significant problem, Wilson is nervous about procrastinating students.

“The biggest issue will be for kids who choose to wait until the last minute to order,” Wilson said. “That will be a problem if kids don’t get their order in by the deadline because those aren’t something they can just grab off the shelf, whereas with blue and gold they were able to do that.”

Despite possible issues, Wilson hopes the new gowns will help to bring students together.

“We hope this will advance our trying to think and come together as one team, one Grand Haven, as one graduating class,” Wilson said.