7 Books to read in the new year

Abby Reyenga, Reporter

Looking for a book that you can dive into the new year? Well look no further. These seven books are of wide variety and genres that any book lover would enjoy. Media specialist Gloria Klinger and fellow students recommended these books and most are available in the library.

theskyiseverywhereThe Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson

Want a book with romance, but also deep plot? Then you might want to go down to the library and check out The Sky is Everywhere before break begins. 17 year old Lennie Walker’s life is turned upside down when her older sister dies unexpectedly. In Walker’s grief, she is left falling in love with two different guys. One was her older sister’s boyfriend who Walker is creating a connection with in the loss while the other is an exchange student from Paris who transports Walker from her pain. The Sky is Everywhere will leave you in smiles and tears.

A Piece of Cake by Cupcake BrownPieceofcake

The true life story A Piece of Cake will give you food for thought and an inspirational story to enjoy. Recovering drug addict Cupcake Brown goes deep into her rough past and tells the tragic truth about how when her mom died and she ended up in foster care where she was mistreated and raped. Her memories led her to a life of prostitution, gangs and drugs. Even through all these horrible events Brown overcomes her struggles and works her way to a healthy and inspiring life. Brown’s talent for storytelling will leave you experiencing emotions on every spectrum.

room (3)Room by Emma Donoghue

You won’t want to miss out on this book, Room is narrated by five year old Jack but it’s not just his young age that makes the story different but also that he has only known the confinement of a 11 by 11 room. He lives with his mother who was kidnapped seven years ago and repeatedly raped. His perspective leaves you disoriented and guessing, but also opens our minds.

nameofstarThe Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

The Name of the Star will leave you with chills as murder after murder happens in this intense mystery. Rory Deveaux, an American teenager attends her senior year at a London boarding school. When she gets to England, gory murders by a Jack the Ripper copycat start to occur. Along with  suspense, the author sprinkles humor throughout this book. As the plot deepens, Deveaux is caught in the middle of these deaths and as she aids in finding the killer, her life is put at risk.

illuminaebookIlluminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

This unique Sci-Fi is the perfect book to sit down and read. It’s the year 2575 and the planet is invaded by two other life forms fighting over the planet. The main character, Kadyn broke up with her boyfriend Erza right before the attack. The invasion leads to Kady and Erza teaming up again as a plague with terrifying effects spreads through their world. Follow them through this exciting adventure told through emails, texts, journals and art.

the-sword-of-summerThe Series Magnus Chase: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

The entire Magnus Chase series is amazing and will leave your heart racing and the newest book in this series is no exception. After his mother mysteriously died, Magnus Chase become the bad kid, always avoiding the police. Chase then surprisingly finds out that he is the son of a Norse God. In The Sword of Summer, the Gods of Asgard are preparing for war and Chase must choose between saving himself or the lives of a thousand others. If you liked the Percy Jackson series, these books are similar to those and just as exciting.

banechroniclesThe Bane Chronicles by Sarah Rees Brennan, Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson

The Bane Chronicles will transport you into a totally different world that you won’t want to leave. This collection of eleven short stories on the life of Magnus Bane. Bane is a warlock, which means he is half demon. Bane is a character from The Mortal Instruments. If you loved that series, these short stories won’t disappoint you. His journeys will leave you satisfied.