Interact club looks to spread light to GH community

Natalie Dupuis, Assigning Editor

Interact club is a service club that allows members of the club to go around the community and help out where help is needed. 

“It’s an awesome group of people that want to connect with others and serve,” adviser John Mauro said.

The interact club statement letter says they reflect on each act of service, serve relentlessly, and build relationships. It mentions they’re not the source of light, but with what they’re given, they can reflect light into dark places along with other points they try to achieve.

“I agree with that mission statement,” Mauro said. “That’s how I try to live my life and the mission statement lines up with what I want to do with my life.”

Mauro says he was approached by principal Tracy Wilson about running interact club the same year he was hired to be a teacher. Mauro added that he had done volunteer work his whole life including throughout high school and college. If anyone is interested in joining interact club, they’re welcome to show up to a meeting. 

“Look, if anybody wants to help, come,” Mauro said. “I want kids to be aware that this club exits, but I don’t want people to feel pressured.”

Recently this past December students donated presents for families at their Adopt-a-Family Present Wrapping. In addition, this past November, students raked leaves at the homes of needy citizens from the United Way.

This upcoming February, interact club will be running their Valentine’s Day babysitting event where people bring in their kids and members of the club offer to watch the kids while parents go out together for a date on Valentine’s Day. 

“If 100 kids want to come and join the club and help people, that’s great,” Mauro said. “But if 10 kids do, then that’s great too. I don’t really care about members.”