Trumpet section leader Carson Bretz reflects on band experience

Macayla Cramer

Trumpet leader Carson Bretz shakes band director Iain Novoselich’s hand at the “Bucs’ Last Blast” earlier this year, a concert to celebrate senior members of the marching band.

Morgan Womack, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Before heading off to their second hour on Friday, March 13, band director Iain Novoselich had his first hour students play the song “You’ll Never Walk Alone.” 

This song has been a tradition for the Grand Haven High School bands as a piece for the seniors to play at their final concert, usually accompanied by a slideshow with photos.

Senior Carson Bretz, who shares the trumpet section leader position with senior Hannah Smith, didn’t realize Novoselich purposefully directed them to play this until he found out in-person school was cancelled. 

“I thought it was really cool for him to be able to have us play that as our last song, especially being able to play that as the last thing I played my senior year,” Bretz said.

The class is operating online with students sending in recordings playing their instruments and listening to songs Novoselich suggests. They haven’t been able to play in sections, which is something Bretz misses. Most of all, he is going to miss the connections he made with his fellow band members. 

“You make all these close bonds, especially being in the program so long,” Bretz said. “You just make this huge family.”