Fresh Faces: Nathaniel Carson

Taylor Pokorski
Nathanial Carson spends his time assisting students academically. His dedication for his students is evident in all that he does.

Nathaniel Carson is new to the building, and is a teaching assistant in room 5208. Along with teaching and coaching, he runs an independent business working with student-athletes. His work in and out of the classroom has affected students and athletes alike.

How long have you been teaching?

This is my third year in total. My other two were at a middle school.

What is your biggest pet peeve in a classroom?

When a student who isn’t paying attention asks what we’re doing, especially when I just explained it.

What makes your classroom unique?

Being more personable and more yourself rather than the happy-go-lucky all-the-time teacher. I really try to be a little bit more honest with kids in terms of where they are academically. I feel like that comes across better versus kind of playing the supportive plastic teacher. I think it’s a fine line between friendship type relationship and the teacher-student relationship as well, and having that balance of being strict and being reasonable.

Where did you go to high school and college? 

Well, I’m originally from southern Indiana, but the high school I went to was called Terra Figo. Probably 300 more students than here, so very similar to Grand Haven. And then I went to the University of St. Francis in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I went up there and attended for five years, I majored in exercise science with a minor in education, and coaching.

Have you always wanted to pursue education?

No, education was like a third backup plan really. I really wanted to become a college coach, and I did that for two years prior to moving out here to Michigan and just couldn’t swing college coach financially. Education was the fallback because I was still able to coach. I’m still able to be around my players, just kind of in a different position. I still wanted to at least be around my student-athletes and so the best way to be around them is being in a school with them.

Is there anything that you found more difficult in your transition to Grand Haven than you first expected?

No, it’s actually been a lot easier. Moving here has actually been a lot easier to schedule itself, it is way easier than the middle school schedule I was on. It’s not as rigorous or at least as mentally draining. 

Have you felt accepted by the students and staff? 

Yeah, absolutely.

What does your planning hour look like?

I don’t have planning since I’m a TA. So I’m in class six hours out of the day. 

What do you like to do when you’re not at school?

I coach football here, so that’s taking up most of my time. If I’m not coaching football, I’m trying to spend time with my family. I’ve got a little girl at home who’s a year and a half years old. And then I got a little boy due in December, so I spend as much time with my family as possible. I also have a business outside of this where I’m trying to train football players in the off-season.

What is your average coffee intake?

One cup a day. It’s gotten a little bit more strict during the school year.

What would be your favorite and least favorite trends?

I say my least favorite trend is TikTok dances. But then it’s funny because it’s also one of my favorite trends. It’s social media and you get to see athletes express themselves. So I think that is my least favorite but my favorite just because you get to see what’s in your athletes as long as they can do it in a timely manner.

What would you like to see implemented in our school or district?

Across the district, I’d like to see six weeks of school and then a one-week break. At my old district, they cut out half days completely and we went to school for six weeks straight, then a week off of school. It was like a little spring break in October and February. Families could travel during off times and it was a nice refresher to come back after a week off and get back to work.