Mental health campaign chosen as recipient of 100+ Women Who Care Donation

Connor Weber, Senior Staff Writer

Principal Tracy Wilson sat anxiously in her chair Thursday, December 3, head quietly bowed, clenching the hands of the women to the left and right of her. 100+ Women Who Care member Wendy Creason made her way to the front of the conference room and paused before announcing the recipient of this quarters donation. Tears rushed down Wilson’s face after it was revealed the $26,000 dollars was to be awarded to Grand Haven Area Public Schools’ mental health awareness program.

At this meeting a handful of nonprofit organizations put their name in a hat in hopes of being one of three drawn for the opportunity to speak as to why they deserve this quarters donation. Wilson was warned that it was up to luck whether she had the opportunity to speak.

“I said absolutely I understand that, my name’s going to get drawn,” Wilson said.  “My name has to get drawn and I’m going to win because I have to win, that’s how serious I am about this.”

According to Wilson this generous donation will be put towards a school wide mental health awareness lesson and training session next semester. With a longer term goal of integrating a mental health awareness course into the grade 9 curriculum at the start of next year.

“The reason we’re doing something this year is because our students are asking for it,” Wilson said. “After having three students on top of other community members who have lost their lives to suicide, our students are asking for something now. I want something for the students in this building now.“