The Bucs' Blade

The week in review: Girls basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

The week in review: Girls basketball

Senior Sophie Mariani challenges the brutal West Ottawa defense during a road game a few weeks back. The Lady Bucs turned it around last week, playing better, especially on senior night.

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Last week: On Tuesday, Grand Haven took on Hudsonville at home and won 44-25. Another strong defensive showing from the Lady Bucs proved to be crucial in the win. Junior Alli Keyser led the Bucs with 13 points and seven assists, followed by senior Sophie Mariani who had a double-double of 10 points and 10 rebounds. Then, three days later, the Bucs faced off against rival Rockford on senior night in Grand Haven. In an extremely physical game, the Lady Bucs proved to have the greater stamina as they fended off the Rams 33-31. This was an important win for the Lady Bucs as they had their worst loss of the year to Rockford on Jan. 19, 55-37. Keyser led the team again with 16 points, four rebounds and three steals.

They Said It: “We went out there with a fight,” senior Maggie Long said. “Even though at some points in those games it was tough, we held together [as a team].”

Coming Up: This week, Grand Haven finishes out the regular season with road games against conference bouts Grandville on Tuesday and Caledonia on Friday.

About the Contributors
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong...

Maddie Monroe, Editor in Chief

Senior Maddie Monroe is entering her third year on staff as Editor-in-Chief. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to make the paper the...