Balanced attack leads Lady Bucs to dominant district win

Coach+Katie+Kowalczyk-Fulmer+huddles+her+team+together+in+a+conference+matchup+against+West+Ottawa.+A+team+effort+was+crucial+in+Wednesday%27s+win+versus+Mona+Shores.+
Coach Katie Kowalczyk-Fulmer huddles her team together in a conference matchup against West Ottawa. A team effort was crucial in Wednesday's win versus Mona Shores.

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

What Happened: In a district semi-final contest against Mona Shores, the Grand Haven girls basketball team was easily able to handle the Sailors in front of their home crowd with a 51-24 win. This was one of the Buccaneers’ better performances of the year as both their electric offense and tough defense were on full display, confirmed by a 31-8 halftime lead. Junior Alli Keyser once again paced the Lady Bucs with 18 points, followed by senior Autumn Buikema with seven and junior Anna Strom with six.

They Said It: “I thought we played some of our best basketball,” Strom said. “We had ton of defensive intensity which in turn created [our] offense. It always helps when we shoot well but I thought we did what we needed to in order to win.”

Up Next: Grand Haven will square off against Muskegon on Friday at GHHS Fieldhouse. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

About the Contributors
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.

Maddie Monroe, Editor in Chief

Senior Maddie Monroe is entering her third year on staff as Editor-in-Chief. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to make the paper the best she can. Monroe loves to ski, play golf, hike, listen to music, and travel. She is hoping to continue her journalism career at Michigan State University next fall.