Girls Soccer Weekly

A Buccaneer completes a throw-in during the team's home match vs. Jenison

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

Sam Woiteshek, Reporter

What Happened: To open the week of play, Grand Haven’s varsity girls soccer team traveled to East Kentwood. The Buccaneers came away victorious, winning 2-0. Sophomore goalie Hannah Brackenbury was excellent in the net, making key saves to preserve the team’s lead. Meanwhile, the dynamic duo of sophomore forward Jennifer Dear and junior forward Alli Keyser continue to dominate, as Keyser had the squad’s two goals and both were assisted by Dear. Two days later, the Lady Bucs hosted non-conference foe Jenison, winning 2-0 once more. This time, Dear led the way with the two lone goals and Brackenbury continued her stellar play with another shutout performance.

They Said It: “I think we are really starting to come together as a team,” sophomore defender Olivia Striegle said. “[We are] growing with a lot of combination plays. We still have to improve our communication, but it’s something we are working on.”

Up Next: After canceled games vs. Mona Shores and at West Ottawa, the team will hope for some good weather for their Thursday match at Hudsonville.

About the Contributors
Sam Woiteshek, Sports editor

Junior Sam Woiteshek is back and better than ever in his second year on staff, serving as the Blade’s co-sports editor this time around. As a lifelong sports fan, Sam loves following the Michigan Wolverines and the Green Bay Packers, as well as the Chicago Blackhawks and the Grand Haven Buccaneers. In the summers, Sam can often be found out on a golf course, as he is an avid golfer and is on the Bucs golf team. Sam also enjoys duck hunting, fantasy football, and hanging out with family and friends. He is a master of word-searches and most likely can win in a game of chess. He also prides himself on his pizza-eating abilities and his talent of cooking Ramen noodles. Sam is excited to partake in leading the sports team this year, hopefully to the journalism equivalent of a Super Bowl. He is also eager to share some of his sports wisdom with the students of GHHS and will continue to deliver award-winning columns to his readers.

Maddie Monroe, Editor in Chief

Senior Maddie Monroe is entering her third year on staff as Editor-in-Chief. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to make the paper the best she can. Monroe loves to ski, play golf, hike, listen to music, and travel. She is hoping to continue her journalism career at Michigan State University next fall.