The Bucs' Blade

Lakers take down Bucs in crushing double-overtime loss; round two coming Tuesday

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Trevor Holleman charges to a ground ball in a match earlier in the season. Holleman kept the Bucs in the tense rivalry contest against Spring Lake

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

What Happened: In a rivalry clash that went to double overtime, the boys Buccaneer lacrosse team would not end up victorious, allowing five unanswered goals, including the game-winner for Spring Lake in a 10-9 loss. For the majority of the contest, each squad stayed within one goal of the other. When senior Quinn Reiger scored back-to-back goals just after halftime though, the Bucs went on a hot-streak, extending their lead to four goals. The nerves for the Bucs began to settle in when the final quarter began. With the offense stalling and the defense tired, the Lakers battled back to force the game into overtime, scoring with a second left to tie the game at nine. Both teams held steady after regulation, but Spring Lake was able to complete the comeback and deliver the heartbreaking loss to the Bucs on home turf.

They Said It: “We took advantage of Spring Lake’s mistakes early in the game but they came back hard in the fourth quarter and we just couldn’t capitalize on our lead,” junior Ben Juhasz said.

Up Next: The Bucs get a second shot at the foes from across the bridge as they host Spring Lake again on Tuesday, May 1.

About the Contributors
Chris Hudson, Editor in Chief

Senior Chris Hudson is in his last rodeo at Grand Haven High School and unfortunately, his last go with the Bucs’ Blade, this time as Editor-In-Chief....

Maddie Monroe, Editor in Chief

Senior Maddie Monroe is entering her third year on staff as Editor-in-Chief. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to make the paper the...