Lakers take down Bucs in crushing double-overtime loss; round two coming Tuesday

Junior Trevor Holleman charges to a ground ball in a match earlier in the season. Holleman kept the Bucs in the tense rivalry contest against Spring Lake

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

What Happened: In a rivalry clash that went to double overtime, the boys Buccaneer lacrosse team would not end up victorious, allowing five unanswered goals, including the game-winner for Spring Lake in a 10-9 loss. For the majority of the contest, each squad stayed within one goal of the other. When senior Quinn Reiger scored back-to-back goals just after halftime though, the Bucs went on a hot-streak, extending their lead to four goals. The nerves for the Bucs began to settle in when the final quarter began. With the offense stalling and the defense tired, the Lakers battled back to force the game into overtime, scoring with a second left to tie the game at nine. Both teams held steady after regulation, but Spring Lake was able to complete the comeback and deliver the heartbreaking loss to the Bucs on home turf.

They Said It: “We took advantage of Spring Lake’s mistakes early in the game but they came back hard in the fourth quarter and we just couldn’t capitalize on our lead,” junior Ben Juhasz said.

Up Next: The Bucs get a second shot at the foes from across the bridge as they host Spring Lake again on Tuesday, May 1.

About the Contributors
Chris Hudson, Sports Editor
Junior Chris Hudson has never been more excited to begin another year on the Bucs’ Blade staff, this year taking full time position as Sports Editor. Hudson loves sports, watching or conversing about them, and is a runner and swimmer for the Grand Haven cross country and swim team, respectively. He prides himself on his...
Maddie Monroe, Photo Editor
Junior Maddie Monroe is entering her second year on staff. She enjoys writing, photography, skiing, Pearl Jam and green peppers. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to be joining the editorial staff.