Lakers take down Bucs in crushing double-overtime loss; round two coming Tuesday

Junior Trevor Holleman charges to a ground ball in a match earlier in the season. Holleman kept the Bucs in the tense rivalry contest against Spring Lake

Maddie Monroe

Maddie Monroe

What Happened: In a rivalry clash that went to double overtime, the boys Buccaneer lacrosse team would not end up victorious, allowing five unanswered goals, including the game-winner for Spring Lake in a 10-9 loss. For the majority of the contest, each squad stayed within one goal of the other. When senior Quinn Reiger scored back-to-back goals just after halftime though, the Bucs went on a hot-streak, extending their lead to four goals. The nerves for the Bucs began to settle in when the final quarter began. With the offense stalling and the defense tired, the Lakers battled back to force the game into overtime, scoring with a second left to tie the game at nine. Both teams held steady after regulation, but Spring Lake was able to complete the comeback and deliver the heartbreaking loss to the Bucs on home turf.

They Said It: “We took advantage of Spring Lake’s mistakes early in the game but they came back hard in the fourth quarter and we just couldn’t capitalize on our lead,” junior Ben Juhasz said.

Up Next: The Bucs get a second shot at the foes from across the bridge as they host Spring Lake again on Tuesday, May 1.

About the Contributors
Chris Hudson, Editor in Chief

Senior Chris Hudson is in his last rodeo at Grand Haven High School and unfortunately, his last go with the Bucs’ Blade, this time as Editor-In-Chief. His approach is to bring the Blade back to Michigan journalism supremacy and that will only come through pushing himself and the rest of the Blade staff to their greatest potential. Having high hopes for this year, he is excited to cover the topics the students want and most importantly need to hear. Hudson is also the president of the Grand Haven DECA chapter and Student Senate, as well as an NHS leadership team member and City council commission student appointee. In his free time, he likes to trap with the boys, tune into the Sunday Scaries podcast and most importantly rise and reel whenever he can. 

Maddie Monroe, Editor in Chief

Senior Maddie Monroe is entering her third year on staff as Editor-in-Chief. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to make the paper the best she can. Monroe loves to ski, play golf, hike, listen to music, and travel. She is hoping to continue her journalism career at Michigan State University next fall.