Busy week in volleyball spells bad news for Buccaneers

Maddie Monroe

Sophomore Samantha Boeve goes the extra mile to try and save a point in the match against Grandville tuesday. Boeve had a solid night, and her setting was a key part in keeping the Bucs close.

Ashton Voorhees, Reporter

What Happened: On Tuesday, the Bucs varsity volleyball team hosted the Grandville Bulldogs for their annual senior night. Aggressive attacking play kept the sets close, but the Buccaneers ended up dropping all three sets 27-25, 27-25 and 25-23 on an emotional night for the team. Riding the emotions from a disappointing senior night into Wednesday, the team headed to Hudsonville for matches against the hosts as well as West Ottawa. The Bucs lost 3-1 against West Ottawa and lost in all three sets to Hudsonville.

What It Means: The team will need to continue to clean up loose ends and commit less mistakes as a whole to prove they can consistently play the quality of volleyball they have shown glimpses of. Even on an emotional night, the team still came up short, and will be sure to learn from their mistakes moving forward.

Key Moments: The first two sets ended 27-25 in favor of the Bulldogs, and dropping these close sets ended up deflating any momentum that the Buccaneers had going forward on senior night, and bled into their matches against West Ottawa and Hudsonville

Three Stars:

• First Star: Junior Ashley Slater had another solid game with 19 kills and an ace on senior night.
  • Second Star: Sophomore Samantha Boeve contributed 35 assists and an ace to the cause on Tuesday against Grandville. Boeve led the team in assists on the night, and was tied for the most aces in the match as well.
  • Third Star: Senior Baby Hang took advantage of her senior night and led the team with 22 digs. Hang’s defense was a bright spot in the team’s game last night.

They Said It: “We let our emotions get the best of us” senior Avolyn Lepo said. “We were inconsistent, sometimes we played really high level volleyball and sometimes we let it drop and were inconsistent with our passing and serving and swings.”

Up Next: The Bucs head to Grandville on Saturday for a weekend conference match, and a chance to avenge their senior night loss.