Students take a stand: The walks for Parkland

Maddie Brockmyre, Editor in chief

One month after the tragic Parkland shooting, students at Grand Haven and nationwide continued to foster conversation about school safety, bullying and guns while also honoring the 17 lives lost with walk-ins and walkouts.

Organized by freshman Lexi Tater, junior Faith Stevens, sophomore Jackson Schulte and junior Katie Pease with the help of the administration, a short slide show was presented in classes and then students were allowed to walk to the gym to participate in a moment of silence. The presentation stated that the goal of the walk-in was to remember the Parkland shooting as well as encourage students to be more aware of bullying and importance of a secure building.

The four student organizers give a small speech before the moment of silence in the field house.

“I feel like it went super well, I’m really glad everyone came and supported each other,” Pease said.

According to the Grand Haven twitter, about 1,000 students were in attendance in the field house.

While the event inside occurred, around 100 students stood outside by the flagpoles in silence, also in remembrance of the Parkland victims.

“I think that walking out is a little bit of a bigger sacrifice, because of all the colder temperatures,” junior Miguel Castelean said. “I think I found a bigger meaning in walking out rather than walking in.”

I think I found a bigger meaning in walking out rather than walking in.”

— Junior Miguel Castelean

Some students chose to walk out because of the structured organization of the walk-in, stating that unity with the rest of the nation is important.

“I don’t like how the school handled it,” junior Gage Williams said. “The whole purpose of it was to be a walkout not a walk-in and it’s a nationwide thing too. So, I feel like the school can have more leniency with us on it.”

Safety was the main factor that lead the organizers to choose a walk-in over a walkout. According to Tater and Principal Tracy Wilson, dangers with cars driving in the parking lot, a lack of control of students and the fear of a potential copy-cat drove the moment of remembrance from outside to in.

The organizers also stated that they wanted to reflect on the tragedy by focusing more on respecting one another and the responsibility of students to close doors and enter through the main office instead of gun control.

“I understand that it’s not what the rest of the country is doing but we wanted to give the students an option that wasn’t political,” Pease said.

Maddie Brockmyre

Another concern surrounding the walk-out was attendance, some speculating that students would exit the school and leave campus, using the event to get out of class. However, students that participated outside say that the walkout was orderly and no one left school grounds.

“That’s not really the case,” sophomore Sean Moll said. “I didn’t see one person actually leave. Everybody that left [the building] came back [inside].”

Despite the students being split on both their end goals and their method of spreading awareness, both groups were praised by administration for being respectful and active.

“I am extremely proud of our students,” Wilson said. “When they ever come up with a plan and determine something that they want to do, it’s always done very well. When they have a belief or mission, they get it done.”

About the Contributors
Maddie Brockmyre, Editor in chief
Senior Maddie Brockmyre is on her third year on the Blade staff, celebrating her last hurrah as the sole editor in chief.  She hopes to continue her goal of furthering the Blade’s success, cementing the paper into student life while helping it shift to reflect the changing role of journalism in the modern world.  She spends...
Maddie Monroe, Photo Editor
Junior Maddie Monroe is entering her second year on staff. She enjoys writing, photography, skiing, Pearl Jam and green peppers. She is excited to see what this year has to bring and to be joining the editorial staff.
Julia Drabczyk, Reporter
Julia Drabczyk, a Junior photojournalist who is brand new to the Bucs’ Blade, strives for a fun and interesting learning experience that the Blade has to offer her. Drabczyk currently participates in several after school activities such as being apart of the cross country team, Student Senate, track and field team, and helps around the...
Ryan Tongue, Reporter
Ryan Tongue is a sophomore at Grand Haven High School. This is his first year on staff and his main role is reporting in the form of video. Ryan is a member of the water polo team, lacrosse team, and he is an avid skier. He also participates in Student Senate, an organization devoted to...
Carlos Rappleye, Reporter
Junior Carlos Rappleye is a first year reporter and photographer who is enthusiastic about writing and journalism. He considers his Emmy nominated sister his role model and plans to follow her footsteps through the world of journalism. He has an extensive interest in any song with loud, angry guitar riffs and appreciates hearing the thoughts...
Morgan Dreese, Reporter
Junior Morgan Dreese is a first year reporter and is excited to learn more about the journalism world through Bucs’ Blade. She enjoys running cross country in the fall, skiing in the winter and playing lacrosse in the spring. Her free time is most often spent on the beach, writing or taking pictures. One day...