Grand Haven's student publication of community significance since 1927

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

The Bucs' Blade

Just Who Is: Ylvis

Just Who Is: Ylvis

You know the song right? The one everyone is talking about? The one about foxes and the sounds they make? I’m talking, of course, about the viral song The Fox (What Does The Fox Say?) by comedic duo Ylvis. Ylvis’ techno ballad about foxes has now hit over 120 million views on YouTube. But not many know much about Ylvis themselves. So without further ado, meet Ylvis.

First off, the basics. Ylvis is a Norwegian comedy duo consisting of two brothers: Bård and Vegard Ylvisåker. The name of their act (they are first and foremost variety show performers) comes from the first five letters of their last name. The brothers were interested in music from a young age; Bård learned to play violin while Vegard learned the double bass and guitar. Both brothers sing as well.

Long before they were internet stars, Ylvis was a comedy show performed at the Ole Bull Theatre, a relatively small joint in Bergen, their hometown. However, their show received rave reviews, and word spread quickly about the duo. Within a year they were on TV, appearing regularly on “Absolutt Norsk” (Absolute Norwegian) and their stage act had progressed to performing on the biggest stages in Norway.

In 2006, they debuted as national radio broadcasters with their radio show “O-fag” (O-studies, after a common Norwegian school course). They also performed in another touring variety show, called Ylvis III. Their new show was even more popular than before, and earned the brothers national fame. They hosted several television shows, including two game shows. Though despite their massive successes in their home country, the brothers still hadn’t received much international attention.

That all changed shortly after the debut of their talkshow: “I kneld met Ylvis” (Tonight with Ylvis). As either a part of the show itself or as a bit of creative advertising, the brothers produced several YouTube videos, including the aforementioned song The Fox.

While The Fox is by far their biggest hit, it’s far from the only or even the funniest video they’ve made. Another is Stonehenge, about a man obsessed with knowing the secret of Stonehenge. Someone Like Me takes the appearance of a classical piece about love and finding someone perfect, but quickly reveals itself to be about someone searching for that perfect someone…who loves dubstep as much as they do. My personal favorite is Work It, a spoof of the often highly sexualized state of the modern music industry.

Ylvis has enjoyed a fairly rapid rise to fame in their home country, but only recently have achieved international fame. The question is whether they will remain in the spotlight or fade away (remember the Harlem Shake? Me neither).  One thing is unarguable though: this Norwegian The Lonely Island of sorts is immensely talented and should not be ignored.