GHHS named “school of the year” for vaping education

Deputy+Mackeller+and+Mrs.+Schmitt+along+with+others+received+the+school+of+the+year+award+for+vaping+education+at+GHHS.+%28Photo+courtesy+of+Tracy+Wilson%29++

Deputy Mackeller and Mrs. Schmitt along with others received the “school of the year” award for vaping education at GHHS. (Photo courtesy of Tracy Wilson)

Natalie Dupuis, Assigning Editor

Grand Haven High School partnered with a few different organizations through the Ottawa Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition (OSAPC) and was able to work and prevent the use of teen substance abuse. 

“It’s not just for vaping,” deputy Jake Mackeller said. “It’s for any substance, but vaping seems to be so prevalent right now.”

Grand Haven High School received the vape education award because of the amount of work and participation that the school has done relating to this prevalent topic. 

“We’re really invested in doing what’s best for kids and making sure our kids are safe,” assistant principal Gina Schmitt said. 

Schmitt says that the community should be educated about the risks of vaping and should understand the impact it has on people’s lives. 

“I definitely think it’s a community,” Mackeller said. “The community needs to come together to make this stuff work.” 

Having the community there as solid slate will help students that are addicted. Getting them the help and letting them know there are resources to help them is what the award is all about. 

“I think the award just honestly continues to solidify the fact that we are doing the right thing,” Schmitt said. “We’re educating students and families and the community. The award is just saying ‘you’re doing the right thing, you’re doing what’s best, you have the best interest of the Grand Haven area community.’”