All done waiting

COURTESY PHOTO

COURTESY PHOTO

Sam Hankinson, Reporter

The hard thing about being a freshman is that it’s so difficult to gain traction when you first start high school. Every analogy you’ve ever heard is true. You’re the low man on the totem pole and it seems that there’s no way to move up.

Above anything, I wanted to be accepted by the upperclassmen. Getting a “what’s up, man?” from a senior was a humbling experience for freshman Sam. But that took me a while. So I did the next best thing.

I watched.

I watched as three different classes of amazing people took control of the school. These graduating classes were composed of people whom I really looked up to and respected, people I could learn from. Because that’s all high school is, a learning experience.

I watched how they carried themselves, how they treated themselves and others, how they handled school work. I eventually was accepted by my peers in the grades above me, but all I could do was wait. Wait for it to be my turn at the helm.

Since I walked in the doors, the only person I could be was myself. I had to blaze my own trail, but in order to do that, I had to spend time following other people’s footsteps.

I have modeled my behavior from the upperclassmen that came before me the best that I can. That’s not to say that I haven’t learned things from underclassmen either, because I have, this year especially.

The analogy of a senior being a big fish in the small pond is true. And eventually, you become a fish that’s too big to swim in the pond.

Everyone’s got a turn to take the reins in high school. I can’t tell you when your turn starts. I can tell you mine’s over.