Benefits of applying early

Students send in applications by Nov. 1 to get early responses from colleges

Connor Weber, Senior Staff Writer

Nov. 1 marks the early action and decision deadline for many college applications, leaving students in a scramble to revise essays, transfer transcripts, and secure recommendations this week.

According to the college board, early action ensures quicker response times but is non binding. This gives students a longer period of time to commit, as opposed to early decision applicants, whom if accepted must attend that specific college. Submitting applications during the early action deadline may also offer a better chance of acceptance.

“You are going to have a better chance of admission if you do early action,” counselor Doug Klemm said.

This is likely because of the smaller pool of applicants admissions officers have to review during this time period.

“They’re not looking at 40,000 applicants, like at Michigan,” counselor Kim Kowalski said.   “They’re looking at maybe 10,000 because less people apply for early action.”

Kowalski also notes that early action increases applicant chances for scholarship opportunities.  Although not all colleges offer these early application opportunities, and deadlines are on a school by school basis.

“I always tell students just be mindful of what the school is asking of you,” Klemm said. “That goes beyond early college, that goes for items of financial aid as well as admissions.”