October is a month of kindness

Pictured above is a newspaper clipping after Adam Provencal’s death in 1992. (Photo courtesy of Lara Capuano)

Natalie Dupuis, Assigning Editor

Adams Acts are a recurring topic that is brought up every October at Grand Haven High School. 

“It’s a good time for us to be able to have this kind of reflection where we need to be good to each other,” mathematics teacher Joe Nelson said.

Adams Acts aren’t just for remembering Adam Provencal, a Buccaneer who was tragically shot and killed in Grand Haven in 1992, but also serve as a reminder of what we need to do for one another.

“It’s generally about doing the right thing for people, trying to be kind and putting yourself maybe out of your own comfort zone,” Nelson said. “Make somebody else feel a little better about themselves for their good behaviors.”

Adams Acts are meant to be a simple thing where people do good deeds for one another. It doesn’t have to be grand and expensive, it can be small and simple, like holding the door open for someone.

“We’re trying to recognize and give positive reinforcement to those that are doing those things,” Nelson said. “Which then hopefully will encourage them to continue and when other people see the examples that are being set then maybe they can also follow along.”

Being able to get students to take part in Adams Acts can affect how many people start to follow after one person’s one good deed. Adam’s family hopes Adams Acts serves as a testament to what Adam believed: that you should be kind to everyone. 

“It can make a difference in school culture if people look out for each other,” Nelson said.