Blade staff heads to fall MIPA

Blade Staff

Yesterday Grand Haven High School’s student publication, The Bucs’ Blade, went to Lansing for a conference where they had the opportunity to sit in on learning sessions with the goal of learning new techniques for journalism. 

“It’s about giving reporters the chance to learn new tools and techniques that will build their journalism foundations,” co-editor-in-chief Sam Woiteshek said. “As an editor, there’s nothing I love more than seeing staff skills develop – it’s really cool to see.” 

Woiteshek along with the rest of the staff was able to learn from journalism teachers and professors from all around the state and even the country. 

“I’m really glad we got to go to classes with topics that our staff can improve on,” co-editor-in-chief Morgan Womack said. “I’m also really excited to see our new staff get excited about journalism.” 

Students attended sessions on writing, website analytics and others. 

The Blade staff will head back to Lansing in April of 2020 for Michigan Interscholastic Press Association’s (MIPA) Spring Conference where they will collect awards for their published works throughout the year. 

Managing editor Caleb Berko is eager to see what the staff brings back in terms of awards in the spring, and he’s looking forward to the year. 

“We have so many great individuals on staff this year, I can only begin to imagine the kinds of things we will accomplish,” Berko said. “Last year we won a Spartan Award which is a big deal, so we as the editorial team really have our eyes set on that goal.”