Top 5 funniest movies of all time

Jack Reus, Sports Editor

Everyone needs a little comedy in their life, or just a good laugh or two. I am a funny movie enthusiast and am interested in presenting to you my top five favorite comedies. So next time you’re feeling somber or just need a little humor in your life, you will be set.

Coming in at number five, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. This movie is drop dead hilarious. It is a mockery on the sport of NASCAR, where Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are a rib-tickling dynamic duo. In the movie, Will Ferrell plays the role of an elite race car driver by the name of Ricky Bobby who finds himself on top of the world. He has all the fame and fortune until French Formula One champion race car driver, Jean Girard (played by Sacha Baron Cohen) comes to town, Ricky falls to a very low point in his life, and he along with the help of his bizarre and what some would call mentally insane dad, are tasked with restoring his legacy. On Ricky’s road back to success, there are most definitely a few speed bumps, speed bumps that will have you laughing until you fall off your couch.

Ranked number four is the one, the only, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. If you thought Anchorman was hilarious, Anchorman 2 should be right up your ally. Nearly seven years after  Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell)  fell in love with co-anchor Veronica Corningstone (played by Christina Applegate) and was a member of the Channel 4 news team, he is offered the job opportunity of a lifetime, the chance to be an anchorman for the first ever 24 hour news network, GNN. When Burgundy gets the offer, he quickly assembles his original news team, Brick Tamland (Steve Carell), Champ Kind (David Koechner), and Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd). Burgundy and the guys thought it would be a cakewalk to the top of the industry but find themselves holding down the graveyard shift and need to fight for ratings. This movie is filled with an amazing cast and has guest appearances from Vince Vaughn, Jim Carrey, Tina Fey, Harrison Ford, and more.

The third funniest movie of all time is none other than, Superbad, starring Jonah Hill. This movie is the story of two high school kids looking to have the party of the century. Seth (Jonah Hill) and Evan (Michael Cera) both have the goal of scoring babes and booze, which would propel them into the popular crowd. Throughout the movie, they are restricted by two police officers who are also looking to party. I am not kidding you, this movie had me crying. I was constantly laughing to the point of tearing up. This movie contains many amusing quotes that you will want to carry with you.

Number two on the list is, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, now I know what you’re thinking, “But Jack you already mentioned this movie” That is false. I mentioned Anchorman 2: The Legend continues, not the original Anchorman, which is even more humorous than the sequel.  The movie is based in San Diego, California during the 1970’s. Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) plays the role of a hothead, lead anchorman for the channel 4 news team during a period where the industry was male dominate. Burgundy was the king of San Diego until a female reporter by the name of Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) comes to town and outshines Ron Burgundy. Burgundy then begins to grow jealous and resentful of her. It all goes down hill for the star anchorman after he makes an ill-mannered slip on live television that tarnishes his career. But when a breaking story emerges at the San Diego zoo, Burgundy has a chance to redeem himself.  This movie is an instant classic.

And finally, the moment you’ve all been waiting for, the number one funniest movie… Step Brothers. I’ve seen hundreds of comedy movies and have loved many of them, this one is at the top for a reason, it is iconic. Once again we get to see the dynamic duo of Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly, who play the roles of two sluggish, 40 year old men who are unemployed and still live with their parents. Suddenly, when the two men’s parents get married, the two guys (Dale Doback and Brennan Huff) are forced to live with each other. Their hatred for each other breaks the family apart and it is their job to reunite it. This movie is a must watch. It is by far the funniest movie ever.