Bucs softball wins second straight district title

Chris Hudson, Editor in Chief

What happened: The Bucs won the District title for the second straight year on Saturday, 15-4 over Mona Shores in the semifinals and 9-2 over West Ottawa in the finals. They broke the school record for wins, now having 29, beating the old record of 27 set last year. The team had control for a majority of both games, sparked by great hitting from the whole lineup and quality pitching.

Key player: Senior Yogi Hang was the star for the Bucs, having 6-RBI’s in the first game, putting them

Sisters Yogi (right) and Baby Hang embrace a moment with the district trophy Saturday night.
Courtesy Photo by Pam Buckingham

in the lead early on. Hang also pitched well and did not allow a lot of runs in either game. Senior Kaylee Hartwell was also a key player in this tournament for the Bucs.

Quote: “I’ve never seen a group of girls play as good as they do. They just all connect well.” Freshman Baby Hang said. “Most of the seniors put a lot of work into this team during the regular season and off season, and honestly I couldn’t imagine my life without playing with them.”

Up next: The Bucs move on to Regionals in Hudsonville, where they play Byron Center on Saturday.