Volleyball Purple Game Recap

Anastasiya Kahanova, Reporter

What happened: Oct. 18 was the last home volleyball game of the season against Grandville. Senior night took place right after the game. Grand Haven won 3 games out of 4, scoring 25-22, 25-21, 25-17. Grandville had 1 win, with a score of 25-20.

Key Players: Senior Morgan Ross, led the team in kills with 19. While seniors Katie Cole and Sophia Newhouse had 53 assists and 20 digs respectively. Sophomore Avolyn Lepo, also led the team with four blocks.

They said it:

-“We played good, I mean of course there are some rough patches just trying to figure out what the other team was like. We increasingly got better throughout the match.” – Olivia Boeve.

“We had some close times with Grandville, and the score was pretty tight but we pulled it out in the end,” Boeve said.  “We had some really great individual points, and we made some really awesome recoveries.”

-“It was our last home game. But honestly it doesn’t even really feel like that,” senior Morgan Ross said. “We talk to each other differently than other high school teams do like on the court, just because it’s been so long that we’ve been playing together. We are always together, we are always going to team dinners, we have sleepovers, we have some fun get togethers.”

“It will be really sad to leave my teammates,” Ross said. “They still have so much more ahead of them, so much potential. The future will be good for them.”

What’s next: Buccaneers will face Muskegon high school this Wednesday in district play at Mona Shores. The Buccaneers are coming off of a 3-0 sweep of the host Mona Shores. The game will be at 7 pm.

The Bucs' take a timeout midway through the third set. The Bucs' defeated Grandville in four sets.
The Bucs’ take a timeout midway through the third set. The Bucs’ defeated Grandville in four sets.
Seniors Libby Cole, Kennidi Bernia and Sophia Newhouse burst into tears during senior night.
Senior Cassidy Schumacher gets a kill past the Bulldogs.
A member of the young Bucs’ Team, an elementary school volleyball program, holds senior Kennedi Bernia’s ball.