Playing for Jesus

Drew VanAndel, Sports Editor

Senior tennis player Ian Degram strolls into room 2111 at 7:11 on a Friday morning. Degram joins several others in the room as they gather around to listen and consume the student-led presentation. The selected student presents their presentation and questions their fellow Christian classmates about what they can do to comfort each other. A video is shown, a concluding bible verse from Ephesians is read and then a time of prayer is initiated.

Degram then continues on with his day.

Degram, along with many other athletes are members of a Christian club known as Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA).  

“I thought because I’m an athlete and a christian that it’d be a good group to get to know,” Degram said. “I could get to know people with similar views and similar hobbies. And it’s really a good place for anybody.”

Grand Haven’s chapter of FCA was started over 15 years ago by the late basketball coach Steve Hewitt and is now carried on by mathematics teacher and football coach Joe Nelson.

“Mr. Hewitt, when he started FCA,  was a little more structured and a bible study because the time was very short when we were together,” Nelson said.  “It was meant to be much more academic, and so we’ve kinda carried it on as far as we have a purpose to every meeting.”

Although the ministry at the high school has been around for over a decade and a half, its roots stem much deeper. Founded in 1954 with its headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri, it’s goal is “to see the world impacted through Jesus Christ through the influences of coaches and athletes.”

Nelson doesn’t just want athletes however, he looks to draw a more diverse crowd.

“FCA is an organization that has a distinct thing that they do and can do and we don’t necessarily follow everything exact because we want to attract other kids other than just athletes,” Nelson said.

One of the many things that attracts kids other than the Christian aspect is the leadership opportunities it gives to students.

“I like how it’s student led,” Degram said. “(I like) how students put together the presentations and talk about what our school is going through and comfort each other in the hallways.”

The major goal FCA attempts to tackle is influencing students lives positively and let the students know what teachers they can rely on to discuss life’s difficulties.

“I want them to grow in their walk and maybe make some positive strides in a different perspective,” Nelson said.  “And going back, (there is) an accountability piece which is a big thing especially in a public school. What can they do to hold each other accountable and what can we maybe do to bring others who are possibly on the fringe and bring them to what may be a positive in their lives.”