Taper week begins for swim team

Addelyn Wachter

Sophomore Georgia Basil swims in a meet against East Kentwood. Basil is part of standout sophomore class that has largely propelled the program in the past two years.

Sam Woiteshek, Co-Editor-In-Chief

As the swimming season dies down for the Grand Haven girls swimming team, the Bucs are not shying away from the pressure. Rather, they are swimming towards it. This 5-day stretch, often referred to as “hell week” by members of team, is where the squad buckles down and prepares for the postseason.

Grand Haven will “taper” in practice this week, meaning the girls will swim for longer distances in fewer amounts of repetitions. After their dual meet victory at Grandville, morale is high for the Buccaneers, despite the intense practices that lie ahead.

“I’m really proud of the girls for pushing through this hard week,” senior Kirbey Coella said. “It’s really nice to go into taper week with a win behind us.”

As for now, however, Grand Haven will surely relax and enjoy the prolonged weekend before the O-K Red Conference meet at West Ottawa.

“A lot of the team is pretty tired right now,” Coella said. “It was a great way to end our dual meet season.”