Special education teacher Melissa Richardson finds balance amid chaotic new schedule

Morgan Womack, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Special education teacher Melissa Richardson poses with her dog Cole in her yard. Richardson likes to keep active by taking Cole for walks and running.

Special education teacher Melissa Richardson described the last day of in-person education as chaotic. She scrambled to send homework and lessons home with her students, making sure each of them had the resources they needed.

“That Friday just sending work home in all subject areas that match each student and their individual needs and learning styles, it was overwhelming and hectic,” Richardson said.

The chaos has only continued as she adapts to using technology regularly.

“I feel a lot more connected to technology and my Chromebook and checking my email and that is just absolutely not my style,” Richardson said. “I feel like I’m learning a lot about myself that I don’t want a desk job and that’s where I kind of feel like I am right now.”

However, she strives to limit her exposure to technology.

“I’m trying to put some parameters on it because there’s always emails and I’m just trying to stay off of that,” Richardson said. “Just trying to find a balance.”

Richardson’s home gym setup in her basement, where she completes Peloton workouts.

She also likes to exercise in order to keep stability in her daily life.

“I definitely think creating some structure is helpful,” Richardson said. “I think definitely moving our bodies is really good, even just getting outside for an hour, a half an hour, a 20-minute walk, I just think that is so essential in our well being right now.”

She runs regularly, takes her dog Cole for walks and uses her home gym to work out. She got connected and began Peloton workouts – there’s a 90-day free trial available on Peloton’s website with access to many workouts. 

Special education teacher Melissa Richardson poses in front of her new “Pac-Man” game that she recently purchased. She likes to keep busy with fun activities she can involve her family in, like charades and other games.

“I have been loving that,” Richardson said. “They have cycling workouts and some cardio and a lot of weights.”

Richardson encourages her family to be active as well. One day, they went on a family run. They’ve also incorporated more ways to spend time together.

“I actually purchased a “Pac-Man” game that sits on the countertop which is really fun,” Richardson said. “It has a joystick, it is truly taking us back to the early 80s “Pac-Man,” so we’ve been playing that.”

Her family is also cooking more often, playing games and video chatting with their relatives who live in different states. Richardson believes this is necessary during this time of uncertainty.

“I feel like staying connected with people who make you happy and people you make happy is so important right now,” Richardson said.